This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Only site collection administators can manage FBA users?

Jan 10, 2014 at 8:39 PM
I have a user that needs to manage FBA users. Is it possible to give that access without making them a site collection administrator?
Jan 11, 2014 at 1:57 PM
Not currently without modifying the FBA Pack.
Apr 4, 2014 at 10:10 AM
Edited Apr 4, 2014 at 2:03 PM
This is exactly what I want to do. I want to allow only one user (who belongs to MemberGroup) per subsite to create/delete/modify other users, but only those who are in this subsite. I don't want him to be able to modify all FBA Users.
Can you please explain how to do it ? By modifying to code ? Or is this too complicated ?

Thanks in advance,

Nico.
Apr 4, 2014 at 2:59 PM
In the pages themselves, there's some code to 'RequireSiteAdministrator' - just search for that and turn it off - then anybody would be able to access the pages. If you want to allow only users with certain permissions, check here:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7383859/set-permissions-on-sharepoint-application-pages
Apr 4, 2014 at 3:16 PM
Thanks for your answer.
Sorry to be that bad, but when you talk about "pages", you mean FBA pages that are located in : C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\15\TEMPLATE\LAYOUTS\FBA ? Like UserDelete.aspx / UserEdit.aspx etc. ?

If i'm right, I will look through the link that you gave to me, and try to understand the way I should do this.

Thanks again :)

Nico.
Apr 4, 2014 at 4:09 PM
Those are the ones - check the .cs files for the pages to see the code I'm talking about. (You'll have to download the source code from here:

https://sharepoint2013fba.codeplex.com/releases/view/120338

, as everything installed in SharePoint is already compiled).
Apr 7, 2014 at 10:32 AM
Ok, I found RequireSiteAdministrator in the UserNew.aspx.cs . So if i change

get { return true; } for get { return false; }

All users will be able to create users, that's right ?

So If I want only certains users to access this page (and still don't want them to be Site Administrator)
But where the RequireSiteAdministrator is defined ? Maybe I can change its definition, to accept the OwnerGroup of the site, or even a personnalized group that I created ?

I hope I'm understandable, despite my poor english !

Excuse my bad knowledge of C# or code =/

And thanks for your precious time :)
Apr 7, 2014 at 1:47 PM
Right, returning false from RequiresSiteAdministrator will allow anybody to access the page.

If later you want to restrict access to certain people, you would follow the info from here:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7383859/set-permissions-on-sharepoint-application-pages
(I haven't done this before, but I assume it should work fine)
Apr 7, 2014 at 3:04 PM
Thanks for your answer.

I didn't write C# code before, so it will be hard for me. But I'll try and come back if it works someday :)
And btw if someone comes and has already done this before, or wanna try, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Nico.
Apr 7, 2014 at 4:16 PM
If you haven't coded before, we do provide custom development for the FBA Pack. Something like this would be covered by the hours in the support plan:

http://www.visigo.com/purchase.html
Apr 16, 2014 at 9:49 AM
Edited Apr 16, 2014 at 10:37 AM
Just for being sure that I'm right, If I want to modify the RequireSiteAdministrator :

1) I download the SharePoint2013FBAPack.Source.1.3.4.zip
2) I extract it on my SharePoint server
3) I modify my UserNew.aspx.cs
4) I use the Deploy.ps1 (that is in the SharePoint2013FBAPack.Source.1.3.4 folder I extracted in 2) ) script on my SharePoint server ?

That's right ?

Regards.

Nico.

EDIT1 : Or should I modify (if i can) the .wsp file ? I can't find how to open/edit this file btw
Apr 16, 2014 at 1:26 PM
No - You need to open the source code in Visual Studio. Make the change. Recompile. Package (Which will create a WSP). Use the Deploy.ps1 to deploy the .wsp file.
Apr 16, 2014 at 1:43 PM
Edited Apr 16, 2014 at 2:22 PM
Oh ok ! Thank you very much for this perfect answer :) !

EDIT1 : And the final question : I guess this should be done on the SharePoint server of course ? Because I tried on my PC, but it cannot load SharePoint modules.